Course objective is to apply Finite Volume Method (FVM) to real engineering problems. The students will understand FVM discretisation of differential equations, they will be able to use it on an arbitrary system of equations, choose the appropriate boundary conditions and linear solvers for the system, and interpret the results, all in open source software for Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) OpenFOAM.
The students will be able to:
1. Apply the Finite Volume Method for development of computational models.
2. Develop new numerical models for real engineering problems.
3. Analyse the model equations, choose and apply appropriate numerical algorithms for the system.
4. Set-up a complete computer simulation of an engineering problem.
5. Critically evaluate and assess the results of a numerical simulation.